We looked into our crystal ball (actually it's our secret algorithm that analyzes the movement of popular baby names over the years!) – and here's what we think will be the top baby names for 2011. Even the best baby names predictions are never 100% accurate, so be sure to comment and let us know if you agree!
Jacob and Isabella to stay at number 1. Ethan and Emma each remain number 2. But Jayden will bump Michael from the top three for the first time in 50 years, while Olivia holds firm as number 3 girl's name in the United States.
Girls' Names Becoming More Popular:
- Addison: continues its quick ascent, jumping 6 spots to number 6.
- Leah: breaks into the top 20 for first time, at number 19.
- Peyton: leaps from 43 to 28.
- Aubrey: newly fashionable, rockets to number 32.
- Layla: forty years after Eric Clapton's "Layla," the name is starting to take off.
- On the horizon: Khloe, Bella, Lyla, and Harper are the hot new girls' names a few years out.
Girls' Names Becoming Less Popular:
- Hannah: it's been a great run, but Hannah's heading down, to number 29.
- Anna: like Hannah, her popularity is waning, down to 34.
- Victoria: unable to gain a foothold, Victoria is heading back down, probably to number 37.
- Kayla: her popularity was shortlived, and will slip to number 42 or thereabouts.
Boys' Names Becoming More Popular:
- Jayden: nothing but up for Jayden, as it breaks into the top three this year.
- Liam: Irish Liam is on a hot streak, up ten places to 39.
- Carter: is a new favorite, making inroads in the Top 50 to number 45.
- Noah: a slow but steady climber, now at number 8.
- On the horizon: Brody, Oliver, Jaxon, and Ryder are the hot new boys' names a few years out.
Boys' Names Becoming Less Popular:
- Michael: Exits the top three boys' names for first time in over 50 years.
- Kevin: on its way out of the Top 50, at number 48.
- Justin: the mid-80's streak for Justin seems done, as it slips to number 49.
- Brandon: is it finally over? Brandon slips four years in a row, down to 41.